Our education programs for children, teens, and adults are currently being held online on Sunday mornings. We look forward to resuming in-person classes in Montgomery County, MD, when it is safe. Our Sunday school is open to the children of members and non-members. Sunday mornings start with morning sing, followed by Sunday School classes and Adult Education.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, we are offering families 3 options: Virtual, Farm School, or a hybrid of the two.
Our Farm School provides outside, socially distanced, mask-wearing family learning. Our first session celebrated Sukkot with stories, crafts, grain offerings, gardening and of course, shaking the Lulav and sitting in the sukkah.
The Virtual Program combines the best online curricula available with unique opportunities, such as a “field trip” to “Jews In Space,” and a “Mikvah Tour” focused on B-Mitzvah preparation. Prior virtual programs included an archaeological tour of Israel, and special musical guests.
We’re also offering one-on-one Hebrew tutoring, training on “How To Be Anti-racist” and electives including Tai Kwon Do, STEM, Kosher Cooking, and Jewish Meditation.
Teen Youth Group
Our teen youth group emphasizes social action, Jewish values, leadership, and hands-on experiences.
Sunday morning adult education is an integral part of Kehila, promoting opportunities for lifelong learning for all members. Adult education features engaging speakers on historical, literary, religious, political, entertainment, and scientific topics.
A sampling of past topics includes:
- Global Warming: A Jewish Perspective
- Jews and Palestinians: Parallel Narratives Never Meet
- Being Good: The Art and Science of Making Ethical Decisions
- The Stages of Memory: Reflections on Memorial Art, Loss, and the Spaces Between
- Spirituality and Activism in Times of Struggle
- Violence, Police Brutality, and Steps Towards Reform
- Patriotism, Sacrifice, and Antisemitic Hostility
- Israel-diaspora Relations and Concerns over Human Rights in Israel and the Occupied Territories